If you are interested in an employment opportunity at Essex North Supervisory Union, or Canaan School District, please visit SchoolSpring as all of our current positions are advertised there. If you are unable to complete an online application through SchoolSpring, please contact Christi at the information provided below for the appropriate application.
Canaan Schools is always on the lookout for substitute teachers! If you are interested in becoming a substitute teacher, please apply online at SchoolSpring or print and complete our application. Completed applications can be scanned, mailed or hand-delivered to our office. See the bottom of this page for contact information, mailing and physical addresses.
Fingerprinting and Background Check Information
Vermont Statute (16 V.S.A. Sections 251-260) requires/authorizes criminal background investigations and registry checks within the Vermont Department for Children and Families (DCF), the Department of Disabilities, Aging and Independent Living (DDAIL), and the Vermont Crime Information Center (VCIC) on the following individuals:
- All school employees (full-time, part-time and temporary - including substitutes) being recommended for employment
- A person directly under contract with the school district
- Student Teachers
- Contractors and employees of contractors
- Mentors, volunteers, coaches, chaperones, bus drivers and work-study students
Individuals will be required to provide fingerprints, sign releases and give information necessary to conduct background investigations. The cost of the procedures shall be the responsibility of the individual for whom the background check is being requested.
Please contact Christi at the information below to schedule an appointment to complete the background investigation process. The documentation required to complete the background investigation will be provided at your fingerprinting appointment.
You will need to bring the following to complete your background check:
- Payment to Canaan School District in the form of cash or check, to cover the cost of the Criminal Record Check processing which is currently set at $13.25
- Payment to Essex County Sheriffs Office in the form of CASH only in the amount of $25.00 to cover the process of having your fingerprints taken
- Valid Drivers License
If the applicant had a criminal record check completed previously at another authorized Vermont educational institution, the applicant can complete a release form for secondary dissemination. If you feel you qualify for secondary dissemination, please contact Christi at the information below.
Essex North Supervisory Union reserves the right to recheck anyone who has undergone a previous record check, effective 12/31/2010.
New Hire Documents
*only most common provided below, not all may apply
*only most common provided below
Collaborative Bargaining Agreements
Healthcare, FSA, HRA and HSA Information and Documents
Global Compliance Network (Staff Training Portal)
Supplemental State of Vermont Retirement Plans (Optional 403(b))
IVisions - ENSU (Employee Self Service Infinite Visions Link)
IVisions - CSD (Employee Self Service Infinite Visions Link)
VT - National Education Association (Vermont Educators Union)
InvestEAP (Employee Assistance Program)
FMLA / Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993
- Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (eCFR)
- U.S. Dept of Labor Resources
- Family and Medical Leave Act
- Fact Sheet #28: The Family and Medical Leave Act
- Fact Sheet #28A: Employee Protections under the Family and Medical Leave Act
- Fact Sheet #28B: FMLA leave for birth, placement, bonding, or to care for a child with a serious health condition on the basis of an “in loco parentis” relationship
- Fact Sheet #28C: The definition of “parent” as it applies to an individual who stood in loco parentis to an employee for FMLA “eldercare” protections.
- Fact Sheet #28E: Employee Notice Requirements under the Family and Medical Leave Act
- Fact Sheet #28F: Qualifying Reasons for Leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act
- Fact Sheet #28G: Certification of a Serious Health Condition under the Family and Medical Leave Act
- Fact Sheet #28I: Calculation of Leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act
- Fact Sheet #28L: Leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act for Spouses Working for the Same Employer
- Fact Sheet #77B: Protection for Individuals under the FMLA
Vermont Parental Leave, Family Leave and Short-Term Family Leave
Vermont 2021 Minimum Wage Notice
Vermont Dept of Labor - Unemployment Insurance Information
Vermont Unemployment Guide
FFCRA - Families First Coronavirus Response Act - Expires 12/31/2020
Equal Opportunity Employer Information
As an equal opportunity employer, Essex North Supervisory Union does not discriminate against anyone on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, creed, sex, age, sexual orientation, disability status or veteran status.
This policy applies to hiring, compensation, promotion, and all other terms and conditions of employment including any other category protected under applicable law.
Christi Rancourt, Payroll & Benefits Coordinator
Essex North Supervisory Union
P.O. Box 100
318 Christian HL
Canaan, VT 05903
ph - 802.266.3330 x201
fx - 802.266.7085